Thursday, May 19, 2016

Of Mice and Men: The Movie



Section III

     The flashback at the end of the movie shows George on a train looking back at his memories with Lennie. The beginning of the movie starts off with George on a train and it ends with George on the train. The whole movie was a flashback of George remembering Lennie.

     The flashback leaves the audience feeling sorrowful because George cannot get over the fact that he shot his best friend. The movie shows other memories of George and Lennie walking off, and the audience can almost feel how George was feeling at that moment. George had a grief feeling, and that passed on to the audience. I feel that since George and Lennie were best friends and were always together, the killing scene was really heartbreaking for the audience. Knowing the fact that they were best friends really affects the mood because of how George portrayed his feelings afterwards.

     The feeling from the movie does not match the feeling at the end of the book because in the movie you can actually see how the scene happened and also the emotions shown by the characters helped the mood sink in. The book did not match because you could not see the emotions being portrayed. I think that the director chose to use a different ending rather than what actually happened in the book because it would show more emotion. It would also be hard to show the last line of the book in a movie. The ending line would be a horrible way to end a movie because you would want to see more than just, "'Now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them two guys?'"

    The line at the end of the book is, "'Now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them two guys?'" I think what the line is telling us about the speaker, Carlson, is that he doesn't understand why George is acting the way he is. The feeling that this line leaves the reader is confusion. This line made me want more of an explanation on to what it meant. Carlson said it to Curley so I wanted to know if he was trying to be sentimental or sarcastic.

    My general thoughts on this book are that I honestly didn't think I was going to enjoy it as much as I actually did. This story made me think about my friendships and I would put myself in George's situation. What had the most intense impact on me was when George killed Lennie himself because it made me think if I was in that situation would I have done the same. I would recommend this book to young adults (teenagers) because they would be more likely to understand the deeper meaning to this book than just saying it's about friendship, because it's more than that.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment