Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Poetry Response




     The poem I chose to research is called "A Valentine" by Edgar Allen Poe. This poem is about a woman that Poe fell in love with and he basically pours all his feelings towards her in this poem. Poe tells the characteristics of the woman and what he loves about her.


     I think that Edgar Allen Poe wrote this poem because he really loved the woman, and he wanted to let her know how much he did. Somewhere in the poem the woman's name is hidden. Throughout the poem he is giving hints to the reader as to where to find the name.

“A Valentine”
Edgar Allen Poe
For her this rhyme is penned, whose luminous eyes,
Brightly expressive as the twins of Lœda,
Shall find her own sweet name, that, nestling lies
Upon the page, enwrapped from every reader.
Search narrowly the lines! -- they hold a treasure
Divine -- a talisman -- an amulet
That must be worn at heart. Search well the measure --
The words -- the syllables! Do not forget
The trivialest point, or you may lose your labor!
And yet there is in this no Gordian knot
Which one might not undo without a sabre,
If one could merely comprehend the plot.
Enwritten upon the leaf where now are peering
Eyes scintillating soul, there lie perdus
Three eloquent words oft uttered in the hearing
Of poets, by poets -- as the name is a poet’s, too.
Its letters, although naturally lying
Like the knight Pinto -- Mendez Ferdinando --
Still form a synonym for Truth. -- Cease trying!

You will not read the riddle, though you do the best you can do.

HINTS: 
first letter of her name is the first letter on the first line
the second letter of the first word on the second line
third letter of the first word of the third line
fourth letter of the first word on the fourth line
fifth letter of the first word on the fifth line
sixth letter of first word on the sixth line
seventh letter of the first word on the seventh line.




The poem "A Valentine" reminds me of two teens that are in love and the guy is too shy to admit it so instead of telling her he dedicates a poem to her. I think that because the way Poe (the teenage boy) wrote the poem, by hiding the girls name, it makes me think that maybe he was too shy to actually tell her he loves her, so he dedicated a poem to the woman. I do not know the actual reason why Edgar Allen poe wrote it, but where I found the poem it says he wrote it on Valentine's Eve 1849.




     As I was reading the poem "A Valentine" I visualized a heart with the name of the woman because to me the heart is Edgar Allen Poe's heart and since he loves that woman so much I thought that she was forever in his heart. I wrote Frances Sargent Osgood inside the heart because that is the woman's full name, but in the poem 'Frances' is the part that is hidden in the poem.



Commented on: Amilee's, Emily's, Hazelle's

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your blog post this week Andrea! I like how you included the hints, so we could find the name in the poem. This poem is one of my favorites too! I really liked Edgar A. Poe's poems. Overall you did a great job on the written blog and the visual was pretty good too! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog was very good. I loved how you put in the hints to figure out the woman Poe was talking about. I thought this poem was very interesting, it didn't seem like a poem Poe would write. Also, your picture was very good. I liked how you had it in the shape of a heart with the woman's name in the center. It made a very big difference on the poem.

    ReplyDelete